FaceTime is a reliable way to video chat between iPhone, iPad, and Mac users. If you have one of these Apple devices, it’s easy to take FaceTime for granted.
Unfortunately, there’s no way for Android users to download the FaceTime app or start their own FaceTime calls. But with the release of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey, anyone can join a FaceTime call from their web browser.
Here’s how to send a FaceTime invite from an Apple device, and how to join that FaceTime call on your Android phone or Windows PC.
How to join a FaceTime call on an Android or PC
Android and Windows users still can’t start FaceTime calls. But if you have the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, you can join FaceTime calls that Apple users make.
First, someone with an Apple device needs to start the FaceTime call. To do this, they’ll need:
1. Have the Apple user open the FaceTime app on their device and select Create Link at the top of the app.
2. In the pop-up, the Apple user then needs to select how they’d like to share the link — via Messages, Mail, AirDrop, or another app. It doesn’t matter which method they use, the Android or PC user just needs to have the link.
3. Once the Android or Windows user receives the FaceTime link, they need to open it in Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
4. Have the Android or Windows user enter their name and tap Continue.
5. Have the Android or Windows user hit the green Join button in the pop-up. They might need to give FaceTime permission to use their microphone and camera.
6. The Apple user will then need to accept their request to join.
7. Once both parties have entered the call, they’ll both see the same options to mute themselves, show or hide their camera, leave the call, and more.
What is the Android version of FaceTime?
There are a few other apps you can use to video chat on Android.
Google Allo and Google Duo
Google Allo was an instant messaging app that no longer exists. Google users can now use Google Chat, an instant messaging app that lives in Gmail inboxes. All you need to use Google Chat is a free Google account.
Google Duo is a discontinued video calling app that has since been replaced by Google Meet. The latter is Google’s video chatting service that is mostly meant for business and office use.
Skype is a free video calling service that allows you to make phone or video calls right from your computer or mobile device. You can call one person or start a group call with friends and family around the world.
Can Android users initiate a FaceTime call?
No. FaceTime is an Apple service, so Android users can only join FaceTime calls set up by Apple users.
Will FaceTime ever be fully available on other platforms?
With FaceTime links, Android and PC users can now join FaceTime calls and enjoy many FaceTime features like muting or unmuting their microphone, turning their camera on or off, using full-screen mode, and switching the camera view.
Can multiple users join the FaceTime link?
Yes, however there is a maximum number of users that can be on the same group FaceTime call: 32.